Death Certificate Education (Arizona)
Death Certificate Education (Arizona) – http://www.azbn.gov/DeathCertificates.aspx
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- Who is allowed to complete the “cause of death” box on a death certificate?
- What should one do when they are unsure of the cause of death?
- Where can I find some case histories with filled out death certificates?
- When must a death on the operating table be reported in Arizona?
- What procedures are followed in Arizona in cases of fetal death?
This is a continuing education module for nurse practitioners. It links to the following resources, among others:
- Physicians’ Handbook on Medical Certification of Death (PDF) – From the National Center for Health Statistics, (PHS) 87-1108. 36 pp. (Reprinted 2003)
- Instructions for Completing the Cause-of-Death Section of the Death Certificate (PDF)
- Completing the Cause of Death Section of the Arizona Death Certificate (PDF)
- Reporting Surgical Deaths (PDF)
- Fetal Death Processing: Part I, II, IV & Fetal Fields to Remember (PDF’s)
- Possible Solutions to Common Problems in Death Certification
- Tutorial from the National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME)
If you’re looking for plausible end of life scenarios, check out the 13 “case studies” in Physicians’ Handbook on Medical Certification of Death. They are about a paragraph long and cover the period from hospitalization through death.
NOTE: Death Certificate procedures may vary by state.