Biographical Databases via State Agency Databases Across the Fifty States
Biographical Databases via State Agency Databases Across the Fifty States – http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Biographical_Databases
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- Who are some Maine-based female science fiction writers?
- Which of Kentucky’s governors was a distiller from Bourbon county?
- Where can I find a pre Civil War black bricklayer in North Carolina?
- Who were Washington State’s Farmer-Labor politicians?
- When were National Silver Republicans active in Colorado?
This page is a link to biographical databases published by state governments. The list is maintained by librarian volunteers on behalf of the American Library Association Government Documents Roundtable.
Databases of note include:
- Colorado Legislators Past and Present – A database of biographies on current and historical Colorado state legislators.
- Kentucky Governor’s Biographies – Static list providing brief biographical sketches of all of Kentucky’s governors since 1792.
- Maine Writers Database – Searchable database of writers with a relationship to the State of Maine. The connection may be birth, residency, employment or works that are set in Maine. Goes back to the 1700s.
- North Carolina Builders & Architects: A Biographical Dictionary This biographical dictionary highlights architects and builders who have produced North Carolina’s architecture for more than 300 years. Clicking on “show more options” opens up Gender, Race, Trade, Styles & Forms, Building Types, and “Flourished Dates.” Records includes locations where the builders and architects did projects.
- Washington HistoryMakers – A biographical database of Washington elected officials and activists. Entries include basic biographical information with a photo and links to other online information. The database covers the offices of governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, treasurer, and representatives of the U.S. House and Senate and will continue to be expanded.