MedlinePlus Page on End of Life Issues
MedlinePlus Page on End of Life Issues – http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/endoflifeissues.html
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- What do doctors base their “you may live ____ months” estimates on?
- If you are an older patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), how likely are you to live out a year?
- What physically happens when someone dies?
- How does Social Security treat burial funds?
This MedlinePlus Topic page is formatted is organized into the following areas:
- Basics (overviews, latest news)
- Learn More (coping, specific conditions, related issues)
- Research (financial issues, clinical trials, research, journal articles)
- Reference Shelf (Dictionaries/Glossaries, Directories, Organizations, Law and Policy)
- For You (Children, Patient Handouts)
Useful looking resources include:
- JAMA Patient Page: Decisions about End-of-Life Care (American Medical Association) – PDF
- Doctor, How Long Have I Got? (InteliHealth, Harvard Medical School)
- End of Life Choices – Feeding Tubes and Ventilators (Family Caregiver Alliance)
- What Happens When Someone Dies? (National Institute on Aging)
- Culturally Diverse Communities and End-of-Life Care (American Psychological Association) – PDF