Special Marine Corps Units of World War II
Special Marine Corps Units of World War II. Charles L. Updegraph, Jr. 1972. 1977 reprint. 105 pp.
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- Who commanded the 2nd Barrage Balloon Squadron in July 1942?
- What citations were earned by the 1st Raider Battalion?
- What did a barrage balloon look like and what were they used for?
- Where can I find a map of the Mankin Raid in August 1942
A 105 page work that details the development, deployment and eventual demise of five types of special units in World War II: raiders, parachutists, glider forces, barrage balloon squadrons and base defense battalions. The book is well illustrated with maps, photos and timelines.
The main text is followed by these five appendices:
- Unit Commanding Officers
- Unit Battle Honors
- Unit Tables of Organization
- Unit Tables of Equipment
- US Naval Ships Named for Men of the 1st Raider Battalion