US AID: Transforming lives
US AID: Transforming lives – http://usaid.gov/results-data/success-stories
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- What are typical crops for Madagascar?
- What are some challenges faced by unregistered migrants in Kyrgyzstan?
- What are some challenges living in Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley?
Short poverty fighting success stories, admittedly with a positive spin. May be helpful in showing what sorts of situations people in developing countries find themselves in. Stories from 2011 included:
- A Young Designer Gets Career Boost (Jordan)
- A Woman in a Man’s Job (Afghanistan)
- A Staunch Defender of Rural Children Living with HIV (Zimbabwe)
- Somali Soap Opera Promotes Financial Literacy
- A Medical Lifeline on the Border (Burma)
Stories may be browsed in order of posting.