Foreign Affairs Manual (State Department)
Foreign Affairs Manual (State Department) –https://fam.state.gov/
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- What responsibilities do US embassy and consular officials have towards US citizens?
- Why can’t a US diplomatic office provide assurances that a US citizen will show up for a trial?
- How does the State Department manage aircraft under its jurisdiction?
The Foreign Affairs Manual describes the organizational responsibilities and authorities assigned to each major component of the State Department. According to the introduction, this work “cites the more important legislation and executive orders, accompanied by charts, where appropriate, relating to the responsibilities of the Department of State.”
The manual is divided into the following sections:
- Organization and Function
- Financial Management
- Information Management
- General Services
- Consular Affairs
- Public, Educational, and Cultural Affairs
- Legal and Political Affairs
- Diplomatic Security
- Training and Professional Development
- Logistics Management
- Overseas Buildings Operations
- Medical Program