Navy Fact File
Navy Fact File – http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact.asp
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- When was the first Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) first deployed?
- What is the explosive capacity of a MK 54 torpedo?
- What is the sleeve insignia of a Navy Captain?
This is the place to go to put your sailor on a ship and provision him with weapons. This site is a series of one page fact sheets broken down into the following topics:
- Aircraft, Fixed Wing
- Aircraft, Rotary Wing
- Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Training Targets
- Guns, Weapons Systems
- Surface Ships
- Underwater Search and Recovery Equipment
- Naval Fleet Auxilliary Force (NFAF)
- Special Mission Ships
- Prepositioning Ships
- Sealift Ships
- Ready Reserve Forces
Some of the fact sheets of pictures of the ship or weapon they are describing. They will usually list physical dimensions and weight and include a point of contact for more information.
The People section is the home of a page on Navy Rank (officer) and Rate (enlisted). See http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ranks/rankrate.html for a direct link. You can get extra accuracy points in your story if you refer to the “Rate” of a Chief Petty Officer instead of his rank.