How can I find a name so rare, that was only given to five or so babies in 1980?
In my entry for Social Security Popular Baby Names , I claim you can answer the question “How can I find a name so rare, that was only given to five or so babies in 1980? ” with this resource. Here’s how:
- Visit the site and click on Background Information.
- In the left hand column, click on Beyond the Top 1000 Names.
- Two files are available, national and state. For this example, download the national file – This will actually be a “compressed folder” of a number of years.
- Open yob1980.txt, either in a spreadsheet or a text editor. Each line is formatted [name], gender, number of people with that name.
- About two thirds down the file, you’ll find a group of [name],F,5. The group of [name],M,5. will be towards the bottom of the file. For extensive exploration of this file, I’d recommend a spreadsheet.
Some rare names for girls born in 1980:
Some rare names for boys born in 1980: