Here are a few items that I put together when I still thought about publishing this resource as a stand-alone book:
Military History Chapter – This 100+ page pamphlet pulls together all of the resources put under Military History as a PDF file with some additional commentary along with my resource on finding broken web resources. It probably as some broken links because it has not been revised since I first wrote it.
E-Book Creation Resources
Created in January 2012 when I figured I’d be self-publishing an e-book. If you are thinking of self-publishing your fiction manuscripts, these resources might help you:
Overview of ebook formats (what can be read where)
Comparison of ebook formats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats
In my view, the most important formats are epub, Kindle (azw), and PDF.
Overviews of ebook creation process
- Creating an e-book: Tips on formatting and converting your document (Computerworld) – Includes styling tips and mini-reviews of ebook publishing software.
- How to make an eBook by Jason Mark, Smashing Magazine – Includes links to other ebook resources.
Books and Videos
- Deuchler, Rufus. 2011. Adobe in design cs5.5 for creating ebooks workshop. Berkeley: Peachpit press.
- Find in a library: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/772496085
- Boxwell, Michael. 2011. Make an eBook: the complete handbook for creating, marketing and selling eBooks successfully. Ryton on Dunsmore, Warwickshire, U.K.: Greenstream Pub.
- Find in a library: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/754966429
- Castro, Elizabeth. 2010. EPUB straight to the point: creating ebooks for the Apple iPad and other ereaders. Berkeley, Calif: (If you feel like handcoding your books.)
- Peachpit. Find in a library: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/656776886
- Crawford, Walt. 2012. The librarian’s guide to micropublishing: helping patrons and communities use free and low-cost publishing tools to tell their stories. Medford, New Jersey: Information Today, Inc. (Focus on paper publishing, but good explanation of the book production process)
- Find in a library: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/768041858
Software to create ebooks
- Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/about) Cost: Free. Can convert HTML, RTF, ODT (OpenOffice/LibreOffice) TXT and PDF files to epub and mobi.
- eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub) Cost: Free. creates epub and mobi files from text and HTML.
- Sigil (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/) Cost Free. Creates epub files from text, html and epub files. Has built in text editor.
- ODFToEPub (http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/index.xhtml) Cost: 39 euros. Creates epub files from OpenOffice/LibreOffice files. Support for equations.
- Adobe InDesign 5.5 (http://www.adobe.com/content/dotcom/en/products/indesign.html) Cost: $699 (Nonprofit discounts could be available) Full blown publishing package that allows for export of publishing projects to epub format.
- Mobileread.com list of book authoring software(http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_authoring_software)
- Mobileread.com list of ebook coversion tools (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion)
Ebook self publishing options
- Amazon Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?topic=200260520)
- CreateSpace (https://www.createspace.com/)
- iTunes Book Publishers (FAQ) (http://www.apple.com/itunes/content-providers/book-faq.html)
- Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/) – In addition to facilitating self publishing, some publishers work with Lulu as a distribution channel.
- Smashwords (http://www.smashwords.com/) – Recomended by my writer sister-in-law.