Quick Start: Military History
If you are put off by the number and organization of resources in my Military History chapter, here are some resources to jump into your research.
World military history:
For the military history of countries outside of the United States, I suggest the Library of Congress Country Studies. Most of the “Country Study” volumes include a “national security” chapter which will usually include a history of that nation’s military and its role in armed conflict.
United States Military History:
- By Service
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
- Marine Corps
- US Marine Corps History Division (site currently down 8/22/17) – my overview
- By War
- Revolutionary War (1775 – 1783)
- War of 1812
- Mexican American War (1846-1848)
- American Civil War (1861-1865)
- Civil War Bookshelf (Center of Military History) – my overview
- Civil War Marine: A Diary of the Red River Expedition, 1864. (Frank L. Church) – The heart of this work is the day by day journal of US Marine Lieutenant Frank Church who served on the Red River (mostly Louisiana) Expedition during the Civil War. The journal spans from February 19, 1864 through May 25, 1864 and is supplemented by 127 footnotes and an index. Read more from my overview.
- Spanish American War aka War With Spain (1898)
- Philippine Insurrection (1899-1901)
- United States. 1904. Five years of the War Department following the war with Spain, 1899-1903, as shown in the Annual reports of the Secretary of War – my overview, including remarks on why this resource should be taken with a grain of salt and cross-checked against other resources.
- World War I (1914-1918 World, 1917-1918 US)
- World War I Online Bookshelf (Center of Military History) – my overview
- The World War I Diary of Col Frank P. Lahm, edited by Albert F. Simpson (1970) – In the diary Col. Lahm records both work and leisure duties, making this a good work for a writer setting her stories in Europe during the late 1910s . Lahm’s first assignment was the inspection of balloon schools in Britain and France and so might offer a less common view of the First World War. Read more from my overview.
- World War II (1939-1945 World, 1941-1945 US)
- Korean War (1950-1953)
- Vietnam War (1964-1973)
- Persian Gulf War aka Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991)
- Timeline for Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm (Department of Defense) – my overview
- Desert Shield / Desert Storm Interviews (Pentagon Library) – Some first hand accounts as mentioned in my overview.
- Afghanistan War (2001 – )
- Iraq War (2003 – 2011)
- Marines in Iraq 2004-2008: An Anthology and Annotated Bibliography – my overview
- Battleground Iraq : journal of a company commander by Todd S Brown – This book is the journal of company commander (then Captain) Todd S. Brown who led an army company in Iraq from April 2003 through March 2004. Read more in my overview.
After you’ve sampled a few of the above resources, I hope you’ll come back and see what else is available from Military History