Internet Fraud Schemes – http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- What are some signs of auction fraud?
- How does a parcel courier scheme work?
- Why is shipping items to a third country almost always a bad idea?
There are a number of agencies with jurisdiction over internet fraud, for example the FBI and the Federal Trade Commission, just to name two. The Internet Fraud Complaint Center is a partnership of federal agencies working together on e-fraud issues. This page provides information on different fraud schemes, including:
- Auction Fraud
- Auction Fraud — Romania
- Counterfeit Cashier’s Check
- Credit Card Fraud
- Debt Elimination
- Parcel Courier Email Scheme
- Employment/Business Opportunities
- Escrow Services Fraud
- Internet Extortion
- Nigerian Letter or “419”
- Third Party Receiver of Funds
This site might be helpful in deciding which schemes a con-artist character might become involved in or provide details about how a specific scheme might work. It can also provide a way for honest characters to get ensnared in crime.