Desert Shield / Desert Storm Interviews (Pentagon Library) – http://www.whs.mil/library/desertshield.htm
Representative questions that can be answered with this resource:
- Why weren’t some units able to supply boots and replacement uniforms during Desert Storm?
- What sorts of injuries did US field hospitals treat Iraqi soldiers for?
- What sort of rations were provided to Iraqi POWs?
- What sorts of concerns did a US airborne commander have for his unit?
From the web page, “Army soldiers assigned to the XVIII Airborne Corps Command Historian’s Office conducted audio-taped interviews with other military personnel during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Most interviews took place in Saudi Arabia.”
The page is divided into the following sections
- Individual interviews (Officers only)
- Group interviews (Officers and enlisted)
- Serial interviewers (Includes interviews with historian staff)
The subjects of interviews cover both genders and a variety of specialty fields. They should serve for providing backstory or with a little tweaking, war stories for fictitious wars. They also appear to provide nuts and bolts sorts of detail that could be useful for stories set during the First Gulf War.